Our Long Island pedestrian accident attorney is qualified to provide insight regarding safety walking tips in the NY Metro Area. Winkler Kurtz, LLP has been serving the community for 25+ years, and our firm has handled numerous pedestrian accident related cases. If you were involved in a pedestrian accident and require legal representation, please click here to schedule your initial free consultation with our Long Island pedestrian accident attorney.
As a pedestrian in New York City, you need to be aware of the dangers around you. Here are ten safety tips to help you stay safe while walking in NYC:
- Pay attention to your surroundings and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Use the sidewalks whenever possible and cross the street at marked crosswalks or intersections.
- Obey all traffic signals and signs.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing the street.
- Wear bright clothing or reflective gear so you can be seen more easily by drivers, especially at night.
- Don’t walk while distracted by your phone or other electronic devices. This is unfortunately one of the most common issues in our society today.
- Don’t walk under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- If you must walk in the street, walk facing traffic so you can see oncoming vehicles.
- Avoid walking in dark and poorly lit areas whenever possible.
- Teach children about pedestrian safety and supervise them when they are walking.
You have the right of way as a pedestrian in many situations, but you still need to be cautious. If a driver hits you while you are crossing the street in a marked crosswalk or at an intersection with a green light, they will likely be held responsible. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. For example, if you are jaywalking or crossing the street outside of a crosswalk, the driver may not be held liable.
If you are hit by a car while walking in New York City, it is important to seek legal help as soon as possible. An experienced pedestrian accident lawyer can investigate your case and help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Follow These Safety Tips & Contact Information
By following these safety tips, you can help reduce your risk of being involved in a pedestrian accident. However, even if you take all the necessary precautions, accidents can still happen. If you or someone you love has been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact our Long Island pedestrian accident attorneys today for a free consultation. We will help you understand your legal rights and options, and we will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.