As exciting as New Year’s Eve can be, it can also be a hazardous night for those on the roads. The combination of drinking and driving, poor visibility, and reckless behavior make January 1st one of the deadliest days of the year. For insight from the top car accident lawyers in Suffolk County, NY at Winkler Kurtz, LLP, here are 10 shocking NYE car accident statistics to consider:
- On New Year’s Day, there are an average of 253 fatal car crashes—an increase of more than 41 percent from the daily average.
- Of those fatalities, 43 percent involved alcohol-impaired driving.
- On December 31st and January 1st, the number of nighttime fatal crashes is 70 percent higher than on other nights.
- Between 6 PM and 5:59 AM, nearly two-thirds of all fatal crashes occur on New Year’s Eve and Day.
- A whopping 75 percent of those late-night fatal accidents involve alcohol or speeding.
- Drivers aged 16-20 are more likely to be involved in a drunk-driving crash on NYE than any other day.
- On average, five people die every hour on New Year’s Eve, with 36 percent of those crashes involving DUI.
- The highest number of alcohol-related crashes occurs between 11PM and 3AM on New Year’s Eve.
- Over the past five years, an average of 30 people have died in car crashes on NYE each year in New York alone.
- More pedestrians die on New Year’s Day than any other day—largely due to impaired drivers failing to see them.
With this information in mind, it’s important to remember the dangers of driving on New Year’s Eve and take precautions to ensure a safe night for everyone. This includes planning ahead for alternate transportation options if you plan on drinking; never getting behind the wheel after consuming alcohol; always wearing a seatbelt; avoiding distractions such as cell phones; and being extra mindful of pedestrians. By following these steps, you can help ensure a safe New Year’s celebration for everyone.
I got into an accident with a drunk driver – what do I do?
If you’ve been involved in an accident with a drunk driver, you should take the following steps:
- Remain at the scene of the accident and call 911 to report it.
- Make sure that everyone involved is safe and get medical attention if necessary.
- Exchange contact information and insurance details with all parties involved.
- Contact the police and file a report, including any details you have regarding the other driver’s intoxication.
- If possible, take pictures of the accident scene or any damage to your car that may have occurred as a result of the crash.
- Seek legal representation from a licensed car accident attorney who can advise you on the next steps to take.
By taking these steps and seeking legal representation, you can ensure that your rights are protected in the wake of an accident with a drunk driver.
Can a personal injury lawyer help me?
Yes, a personal injury lawyer can help in the wake of an accident with a drunk driver. A qualified personal injury attorney will be able to advise you on your legal rights and options for compensation from the responsible party. They can also provide guidance regarding filing insurance claims, seeking medical treatment and other services, and gathering evidence to support your case.
Contact The Top Car Accident Lawyers in Suffolk County, NY
If you’ve been injured due to someone else’s negligence, the top car accident lawyers in Suffolk County, NY at Winkler Kurtz, LLP can help you seek compensation and justice. Contact us today to learn more about your rights and the legal options available to you.