At Winkler Kurtz, LLP, we have seen how traumatic brain injuries can affect victims and their loved ones. If another party is responsible for this brain injury, you may be able to seek financial compensation for this traumatic event. To learn more about how our Long Island brain injury attorney can help, continue reading below.
Traumatic Brain Injuries
Brain injuries can cause irreversible damage or even death. Traumatic brain injuries involve a trauma to the head that causes an injury to the skull, brain, or scalp. These injuries can be classified as penetrating or closed. A penetrating injury involves an object breaking through the skull and penetrating the brain. In closed head injuries, the head is hit with or against an object and suffers a blunt force. There are several possible causes of traumatic brain injuries, including car accidents, falls, and medical malpractice.
A victim of a traumatic brain injury may require lifelong treatment and possibly never recover. Our Long Island brain injury attorney understands the impact these injuries can have on victims and their loved ones. If medical malpractice led to a brain injury, we will help you seek the compensation you deserve. There are a few different brain injuries associated with medical malpractice:
- Anoxic brain injury – This injury occurs when the brain is deprived of oxygen. Lack of oxygen in the brain for a period of time can lead to impairments in a person’s ability to move and think.
- Infection – If a patient develops sepsis, infection injuries may occur. Sepsis often develops as a result of inadequate sanitary procedures in healthcare settings. Sepsis can lead to organ failure and brain damage if action is not taken immediately.
- Traumatic birth – Birth injuries can possibly lead to brain injuries. An infant may be injured during childbirth due to lack of oxygen or injury from medical instruments.
If you believe that someone is legally responsible for your traumatic brain injury and wish to file a lawsuit, you should consult an experienced Long Island brain injury attorney. These cases raise complex medical and legal issues, so you should work with a team you can trust. Most traumatic brain injury lawsuits are based on negligence. This claim requires that you prove that the defendant is at fault for your injury. To determine negligence, you must prove the following:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care.
- They breached their duty of care.
- Their negligence caused your injuries.
- You suffered measurable losses or injuries.
Our experienced attorney will ask questions to gather information about your injury to build a strong case. Unfortunately, brain injuries can permanently affect your life. We understand that you may be left with emotional and physical wounds. These injuries are also associated with astounding medical costs. Our Long Island brain injury attorney is committed to helping you and your family recover the damages for this unfortunate event so you can focus on your healing.
If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury, our team can help. At Winkler Kurtz, LLP, our team is passionate about helping clients after they’ve suffered a traumatic injury. Contact our law office today to schedule a free consultation.