The workplace can be very hazardous, even more so in an industrial or construction environment. As an employee, you have the right to work in a healthy and safe environment. Unfortunately, several factors can cause workplace accidents. An injury can take you out of work and cause significant stress in your life. If you have been involved in a workplace accident, our Long Island work related accident lawyers at Winkler Kurtz, LLP can help you get the compensation you deserve.
What Are The Main Causes of Workplace Accidents?
A workplace accident can be defined as an unplanned incident that leads to an employee’s injury or property damage. Unfortunately, at an industrial worksite, there can be many hazards present that can put employees at risk of injury. There are a few types of accidents that can commonly occur in the workplace. We can break down workplace accidents into these different categories:
- Slips, Trips, and Falls – These injuries account for a third of all personal injuries in the workplace and are often the top cause of workers’ compensation claims. During these accidents, the injuries that can occur include head, neck, back injuries, broken bones, and sprains. The most common reason for falls in the workplace is slick surfaces due to spills, icy steps, and even loose rugs. Trips can occur because of poor lighting, uneven walking surfaces, and clutter in the work area.
- Overexertion and Repetitive Motion – Some of the most costly workplace injuries are musculoskeletal disorders. These injuries can result in loss of productivity. Repetitive stress injuries can be the result of improper lifting, lack of breaks, and constant typing.
- Falling Objects – Being struck by a falling object can cause serious injuries. Falling objects can cause fractures, cuts, eye injuries, and internal organ injuries.
- Vehicle-Related Accidents – Where there are vehicles, there is the potential for accidents. Workers that drive as part of their jobs are exposed to several factors that can cause injury. Negligent drivers, faulty automotive equipment, and bad weather can all cause accidents.
While unfortunately there is no guarantee that accidents will not occur within a company, proper training and planning are ways to reduce accidents. When you get hurt on the job, you should know what your legal options are. Workers’ compensation laws vary from state to state. If you would like to learn more about what benefits you are entitled to, our Long Island work related accident lawyers can help you proceed.
Am I Entitled To Benefits?
While the reporting requirements vary from state to state, it is essential to notify your employer if you get hurt on the job. From there, it can be determined if you are eligible to receive compensation. Worker’s compensation covers all medical expenses an employee incurs after an accident. Workers’ compensation can also compensate an employee for lost wages while out of work. Here are the types of disability benefits that employees may be entitled to:
- Temporary Partial Disability
- Temporary Total Disability
- Permanent Partial Disability
- Permanent Total Disability
- Death Benefits
Being injured on the job can be a very confusing and painful experience. Your primary focus should be healing. It is crucial to choose Long Island work related accident lawyers that have your best interests in mind. Our team can investigate your case, determine what benefits you are entitled to, and help you get compensated for your injury.
A workplace accident can be a very devastating experience. For this reason, you should consider our Long Island work related accident lawyers at Winkler Kurtz, LLP. Our exceptional team will provide you with high-quality service that is unique to you and your needs, so you are supported during the legal process. To schedule your free consultation, contact us today!