Construction is one of the most hazardous industries in the country. Despite the significant regulations and protection laws in place, construction workers are injured or killed on a nearly everyday basis in New York. At Winkler Kurtz, LLP, our Long Island construction site accident attorney has an extensive track record of winning settlements for injured clients. When you work with our team, you can trust that we will work to help you achieve the highest compensation for your injury. Continue reading to learn more about the recent history of construction accidents on Long Island.
Recent Construction Accidents on Long Island
In the United States, 14 workers are killed on the job yearly. Out of these workers, one in five are construction workers. Throughout their careers, construction workers have a high chance of getting injured and a 1 in 200 chance of being killed on the job. While we refer to these events as accidents, most injuries on a worksite result from negligence.
- In January of 2020, two workers installing a septic tank on a construction site in Upper Brookville, Long Island, were trapped under piles of dirt and wet sand when the walls of a 30-foot pit around them collapsed. Only one of the workers was found and tragically died from his injuries. The body of the other worker remains unfound.
- In July of 2020, a construction worker on a site in Glen Head fell 25 feet into a large foundation pit. The man suffered traumatic injuries to his body and head.
Construction is notoriously one of the most dangerous professions in the United States. There are several hazards on any construction site. Here are some of the leading causes of fatalities among construction workers:
- Struck by an object.
- Electrocution deaths.
- Caught or trapped between.
What To Do After A Construction Accident
While this line of work is inherently dangerous, site owners, contractors, and workers can take certain precautionary measures to ensure that a job site is as safe as possible. Many Long Islanders work in this often hazardous environment. Our experienced team has a remarkable track record of helping workers that have been injured in accidents recover compensation for their injuries. If you’ve been injured at work, make sure to do the following:
- Report the incident to a supervisor for a full written report.
- Seek prompt medical attention for your injuries and follow the doctor’s instructions.
- Contact an experienced Long Island construction site accident attorney to discuss your legal options.
Contact Our Long Island Construction Site Accident Attorney
Unfortunately, there are far too many instances where worksites do not follow the proper safety guidelines. If you have been injured while working on a construction site, our Long Island construction site accident attorney is here to help. At Winkler Kurtz, LLP., our team has a stellar track record of achieving compensation for our clients. Contact us today for a free consultation and to learn more.