Slip & Fall Injuries
Slips and falls are much more common accidents than most people realize. These accidents occur most frequently when a person is walking on a wet or uneven surface, such as a recently waxed floor, a loose carpet or floorboard, an unshovelled sidewalk, or unsalted steps. If you need assistance, contacting a slip and fall attorney in Sayville could be a viable solution.
If a third party was responsible for the dangerous conditions that caused the slip or fall, there may be grounds for a personal injury case. An experienced slip and fall injury attorney can help you understand your rights.
Falls Among Older Adults
Falls are serious, costly, and unfortunately, prevalent among Americans 65 and older. The CDC estimates that one quarter of adults over the age of 65 falls each year. In fact, 3 million older people are treated for fall injuries in emergency rooms every year, with at least 300,000 hospitalized for hip fractures. Nearly all hip fractures are caused by falling.
For the elderly, fall injuries are among the 20 costliest injuries to treat. Treating fall injuries costs more than $50 billion per year, and the average hospital cost for a fall injury is over $30,000.
Among older adults, one in five falls results in a serious injury such as a broken wrist, arm, ankle, or hip, or even a traumatic head injury. Half of all elderly adults who are hospitalized for hip fractures can no longer live independently after the fracture.
Anyone who wishes to reduce a senior’s risk of falling should:
- Add railings and grab bars in bathrooms and on stairs
- Ensure the home is well lit
- Remove tripping hazards like throw rugs or clutter
- Repair broken or uneven steps
Because older adults are at significant risk of falling, nursing home staff should carefully monitor and assist elderly residents to prevent falls.
Falls in the Workplace
Falls are a primary cause of injury in the workplace, with 85% of workers’ compensation claims attributable to employee falls. Slips and falls also account for the majority of absences from work: 22% of slip and fall workplace injuries result in the worker being absent for more than a month.
Falls in Public Spaces
From slippery floors in the supermarket to poor lighting in a parking lot, falling hazards are everywhere. The law requires businesses and homes to maintain their premises so that people can travel safely. This responsibility is known as premises liability.
What to do if You Are Injured in a Fall
If you are injured due to a slip or fall, your first priority should be taking care of your health and obtaining the appropriate medical care. Then, it is imperative that you collect evidence to support your case. Follow these steps:
- Obtain medical treatment
- Report the accident to the owner or manager of the premises where you fell, and ask them for a written statement
- Document the circumstances surrounding your fall, and collect contact information of any witnesses
- Stay calm and do not discuss your fall with the property management, an insurance company, or on social media
- Get legal help from an experienced slip and fall attorney
Hire a Slip and Fall Attorney in Sayville
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident that is due to the negligence of a property owner or manager, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering. The knowledgeable and experienced slip and fall accident lawyers at Winkler Kurtz, LLP will help you seek justice. Contact us online or call us today at 631-928-8000 for a complimentary consultation.
Sidewalk & Parking Lot Cases, What Can Long Islanders Do?
Have you or a loved one slipped and fallen on a sidewalk or in a parking lot? Has this accident caused you to become injured? If this sounds like you, you may be entitled to compensation. At Winkler Kurtz, LLP, our slip and fall attorney in Sayville would be happy to take on your case. To learn more about what you’re able to do in this situation, please continue reading.
What Is A Personal Injury Lawsuit?
The term “slip and fall” is commonly used to define a specific type of personal injury lawsuit. Those who have been placed into situations like this may be entitled to filing a personal injury lawsuit. But what exactly is a personal injury lawsuit? Our slip and fall attorney in Sayville has the answers for you. A personal injury lawsuit takes place when the negligence of one party leads to the injury of another. People have a legal duty to protect one another in certain circumstances, and if someone’s failure to do so led to your injury, don’t hesitate to give us a call.
How To Prove Fault
If you believe someone needs to be held responsible for your injuries after a slip and fall, it’s essential to work with an expert legal team. Our slip and fall attorney in Sayville, is well-versed in situations such as this and can build a case that reaches a favorable outcome in court. Doing this involves carrying the burden of proof that shows the defendant was at fault. To prove negligence is why you were injured, our team will have to confirm the below to the court:
- The property owner created a condition leading to the fall.
- The owner of the property knew about the hazards of the area but failed to correct them.
- The poor conditions that lead to your fall were around for so long that any other reasonable person would have realized and fixed it.
Once our slip and fall attorney in Sayville has proven the defendant guilty, the court will make a ruling on the compensation you’re entitled to following the injury. Any damages collected can help you make a full recovery, or improve your overall quality of life. Depending on the injury or any negligence that took place, you can be entitled to the below:
- Medical coverage for all medical expenses following the injury.
- Loss of income.
- Loss of earning capacity.
- Mental and emotional distress.
- Loss of property resulting from the injury.
What Are The Main Causes of Workplace Accidents?
A workplace accident can be defined as an unplanned incident that leads to an employee’s injury or property damage. Unfortunately, at an industrial worksite, there can be many hazards present that can put employees at risk of injury. There are a few types of accidents that can commonly occur in the workplace. We can break down workplace accidents into these different categories:
- Slips, Trips, and Falls – These injuries account for a third of all personal injuries in the workplace and are often the top cause of workers’ compensation claims. During these accidents, the injuries that can occur include head, neck, back injuries, broken bones, and sprains. The most common reason for falls in the workplace is slick surfaces due to spills, icy steps, and even loose rugs. Trips can occur because of poor lighting, uneven walking surfaces, and clutter in the work area.
- Overexertion and Repetitive Motion – Some of the most costly workplace injuries are musculoskeletal disorders. These injuries can result in loss of productivity. Repetitive stress injuries can be the result of improper lifting, lack of breaks, and constant typing.
- Falling Objects – Being struck by a falling object can cause serious injuries. Falling objects can cause fractures, cuts, eye injuries, and internal organ injuries.
- Vehicle-Related Accidents – Where there are vehicles, there is the potential for accidents. Workers that drive as part of their jobs are exposed to several factors that can cause injury. Negligent drivers, faulty automotive equipment, and bad weather can all cause accidents.
While unfortunately there is no guarantee that accidents will not occur within a company, proper training and planning are ways to reduce accidents. When you get hurt on the job, you should know what your legal options are. Workers’ compensation laws vary from state to state. If you would like to learn more about what benefits you are entitled to, our slip and fall attorney in Sayville can help you proceed.
Am I Entitled To Benefits?
While the reporting requirements vary from state to state, it is essential to notify your employer if you get hurt on the job. From there, it can be determined if you are eligible to receive compensation. Worker’s compensation covers all medical expenses an employee incurs after an accident. Workers’ compensation can also compensate an employee for lost wages while out of work. Here are the types of disability benefits that employees may be entitled to:
- Temporary Partial Disability
- Temporary Total Disability
- Permanent Partial Disability
- Permanent Total Disability
- Death Benefits
Being injured on the job can be a very confusing and painful experience. Your primary focus should be healing. It is crucial to choose a slip and fall attorney in Sayville that has your best interests in mind. Our team can investigate your case, determine what benefits you are entitled to, and help you get compensated for your injury.
Schedule A Consultation With A Slip and Fall Attorney in Sayville
If you’ve recently become injured during a slip and fall, don’t think there is nothing you can do. At Winkler Kurtz, LLP, our slip and fall attorney in Sayville can help determine if legal action is needed. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation to find out if you should press charges.