Picture the following scenario. You are walking through a parking lot or down the sidewalk when suddenly your feet slide out from under you, causing you to fall very hard onto the ground. While you may be feeling a bit embarrassed, if you have suffered an injury resulting from this, you may be entitled to legal compensation. At Winkler Kurtz, LLP, some of the cases we most commonly take on involve slips and falls. To learn more about if you should be taking legal action in a scenario like this, don’t hesitate to schedule a consultation with our personal injury lawyer near Stony Brook, NY.
What Caused The Slip And Fall?
The first step of the legal process involves discussing why the slip and fall took place. If you didn’t tie your shoelaces or tripped over your own feet, you likely wouldn’t have any grounds to make a legal case. However, when situations that are out of your control cause the fall, our personal injury lawyer near Stony Brook, NY, may be able to secure your damages. Below are some examples where if they are what caused the fall, personal injury claims can be made:
- Defective staircases.
- Piles of snow or icy conditions.
- Wet floors.
- Hidden extension cords.
- Unsecured carpets or rugs.
- Broken floors, sidewalks, steps, or stairs.
Once our personal injury lawyer near Stony Brook, NY, knows under what conditions the slip and fall took place, the next step is to determine if someone is at fault. When you enter someone else’s property, the owner has to provide a standard of care. In situations where this standard is not met, personal injury lawsuits can be filed. Aspects that go into proving fault include:
- The owner or employee of the property caused the condition that led to the fall.
- The owner or employee knew about the situation and did nothing about it.
- Any other owner or employee acting reasonably would have noticed and taken care of the hazardous conditions.
Can Your Own Carelessness Impact The Lawsuit?
Unfortunately, the answer to this question is yes. If negligence on your part caused the injury, our personal lawyer near Stony Brook, NY, warns that the courts may no longer rule in your favor. The defendant’s legal team will undoubtedly realize this and will likely try to build a case that discredits your claim. The opposing legal team can try and prove:
- You should not have been in the area in which the slip and fall took place.
- Any other person acting reasonably would have avoided the slip and fall.
- Warning signs were posted around the site where the slip and fall occurred.
- You were doing something distracted that caused you to miss seeing the hazardous area.
At Winkler Kurtz, LLP, our primary goal is to help clients receive the justice they deserve. Those who have been injured due to a slip and fall should know that we are on your side. Our personal injury lawyer will work diligently to secure the highest package of damages possible. These damages can include the cost of:
- Current medical expenses.
- Future medical expenses.
- Loss of income.
- Loss of earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering.
Schedule Your Consultation – Personal Injury Lawyer Near Stony Brook, NY
After suffering a slip and fall, you shouldn’t wait to seek legal counsel. The faster you file a claim, the more likely it is to receive a favorable outcome. We understand this here at Winkler Kurtz, LLP, which is why we’ll start working on building a winning case right away. To get the legal proceeding started, be sure to contact our personal injury lawyer near Stony Brook, NY, today.