OSHA records more than 50,000 “struck by object” injuries occur each year. That’s one injury every ten minutes, seven days a week. According to OSHA, being struck by an object is one of the leading causes of construction-related deaths: about 75% of struck-by-object fatalities involve heavy equipment such as trucks or cranes, and workers in the construction, manufacturing, and agriculture industries are most at risk.
Identifying Common Struck by Object Hazards
Construction workers are most often struck by:
- Trucks, cranes, and other heavy equipment
- Tools, particles, and other falling or flying objects
- Concrete, masonry, and other heavy objects that may collapse
Types of Struck by Object Hazards
There are four primary ways in which an object can strike a worker and cause injury. They are:
- Flying: for example, a nail gun accidentally discharging
- Falling: for example, tools falling off scaffolding or a suspended load being dropped
- Swinging: for example, being struck by a swinging crane load
- Rolling: for example, being hit by a vehicle in motion
Protecting Yourself and Others from Struck by Object Hazards
Employers have a duty to protect their workers from becoming injured on the job. This responsibility includes providing a safe work environment that complies with OSHA standards, as well as providing appropriate safety training for each employee. In addition to following all safety guidelines provided by their employer, workers should take the following measures to protect themselves:
- Wear a seat belt when operating vehicles.
- Inspect vehicles before each shift.
- Always use parking brakes.
- Use appropriate guardrails on scaffolds to prevent items falling from overhead work areas.
- Never work beneath a suspended load.
- Use personal protective equipment such as hard hats, safety glasses, goggles, face shields, and hearing protection.
- Use a full-body harness to protect you from falls.
- Secure loads properly to prevent them from slipping.
- When working at height, tie off tools to prevent them from falling and striking people below.
Get Help from a Long Island Struck by Object Attorney
Have you been injured as a result of being struck by an object at work? Winkler Kurtz, LLP can help. Our attorneys have been bringing justice to negligent parties and helping workers receive fair compensation for their injuries since 1987. If you believe your injury is the result of negligence, we would like to hear from you. Please contact us online or call us today at 631-928-8000 to set up a complimentary consultation.